Dark circles under the eyes are a cosmetic defect that manifests itself in the form of darkening of the skin in the periorbital area, which is often associated with fatigue. But sleepless nights are not the only cause of bruising under the eyes. We will tell you why dark circles appear under the eyes and how to get rid of them.
Causes of dark circles under the eyes
What to do if dark circles appear under the eyes
How to correct bruises under the eyes at home
How to Minimize Dark Circles with Cosmetic Treatments
VIVID Eyes for Dark Circles
Causes of Dark Circles Under the Eyes
– One of the most common causes of bruising under the eyes is chronic overwork of the body. Due to frequent stress, nervous strain, and lack of sleep, the work of blood vessels is disrupted and an excess of the stress hormone, cortisol, is released. Against this background, the thin skin of the eyelids turns pale, the capillaries become more visible and a characteristic “bruise” appears under the eyes.
– Biological aging of the body is also a common cause of dark circles under the eyes. With age, the skin loses firmness, density, and elasticity and becomes thinner. As in the case of overwork, capillaries show through the thinned skin of the lower eyelids and shade it with a bluish tint. Also, over the years, the skin's hyperpigmentation risk increases, which can be expressed by darkening the skin under the eyes.
– Bad habits (excessive consumption of alcohol and tobacco products) also affect the pigmentation of the skin under the eyes. As a result, it acquires a brown tint, and dark circles appear.
– Prolonged work at the computer contributes to the fact that the eyes are very tense, the blood vessels dilate, and the skin around them darkens. Be sure to take 10-minute breaks, or better yet, eye exercises to help relieve tension.
– Often dark circles under the eyes are one of the symptoms of a disease of the internal organs and occur due to fluid retention in the body.
– Allergic reactions provoke the excessive release of histamine, which in turn cause dry eyes, itching, reddening of the skin in the periorbital zone, and dilation of blood vessels.
– Dehydration is another possible cause of dark circles under the eyes. With a lack of moisture, the skin of the eyelids becomes thinner, becomes dull, and the eyes become sunken. All this also contributes to the appearance of dark shadows.
– Heredity and genetics also play an important role in forming dark circles under the eyes. In this case, "bruises" are associated with structural features of the facial part of the skull (for example, with deep-set eyes or pronounced cheekbones, a shadow effect occurs).
– The negative impact of ultraviolet rays also contributes to the staining of the skin of the eyelids in a dark color. Since the epidermis under the eyes is very thin and vulnerable, UV rays, even with short exposure, provoke the production of melanin, as a result of which the skin in this area acquires a dark tan shade that stands out against the general background of the face.
– Hormonal fluctuations in a woman's body during pregnancy or taking contraceptives also often contribute to the formation of dark spots on the lower eyelids.
– Bruises under the eyes can also appear after a mechanical effect on the skin in this area, for example, if you rub your eyes too actively during fatigue or during make-up removal.
What to do if Dark Circles appear under the Eyes?
Darkening of the skin on the lower eyelids is one of the most common facial skin defects. As you know, the skin of the eyelids is very thin (from 0.3 to 0.5 mm, which is 3-5 times thinner than the skin of the faces), practically devoid of subcutaneous fat, it has fewer sebaceous and sweat glands, therefore it is more prone to dryness. Due to the fact that the synthesis of collagen and elastin, which are responsible for the elasticity and elasticity of the epidermis, is not so active in the periorbital zone, the skin here is subject to early aging and a decrease in tone.
The skin tone of the eyelids can tell about the mechanism of bruising under the eyes and methods for their correction:
– Bruises with a red tint can be associated with damage to the fragile walls of blood vessels and hemorrhage into the external space. Correction requires substances that strengthen the walls of blood vessels (escin or ginkgo Biloba extract).
– Blue circles are the result of a violation of microcirculation and stagnation of blood in the capillaries. At the same time, the oxygen saturation of the blood decreases, and it becomes darker. Correction requires agents that normalize microcirculation (caffeine, dextran sulfate).
– Darkening with a predominance of brown is associated with increased content of melanin in the eye contour area. Correction requires products with a brightening effect containing vitamin C, niacinamide, and licorice extract.
How to correct Bruises under the Eyes at Home?
Dermatologists recommend regular skin care for the eyelids: clean, moisturize, tone, and nourish them daily. For this, products designed specifically for the care of the under-eye area, which has passed strict dermatological and ophthalmological control, are suitable. Basic face creams in this case will not work - their highly concentrated active formulas can provoke allergic reactions or swelling.
Algorithm for home skin care for the eyelids:
– Be sure to cleanse the skin under the eyes. Special products are suitable for this, for example, soft foams with formulas aimed at strengthening, and restoring the hydrolipid balance and protective functions of the skin, micellar water, or hydrophilic oils. Always remove any remaining eye makeup before going to bed.
– After cleansing, it is recommended to tone the skin of the eyelids with special tonics or lotions. They will help cleanse the epidermis of the remnants of contaminants, including cleansers and prepare it for corrective care.
– Hydration is the key to the health and beauty of the skin of the whole body. To keep the skin of the eyelids nourished, supple, and elastic, use products with hygroscopic components that can retain moisture in the cells for a long time. Choose hypoallergenic formulas based on hyaluronic acid, plant extracts, and thermal water. Moisturizers are recommended to be used from a young age (18-20 years) to prevent early aging.
– Lymphatic drainage components, such as caffeine in the composition of cosmetics for the skin of the eyelids, will help correct dark circles and puffiness under the eyes. Such funds stimulate blood flow and lymph flow, visually brightening the epidermis.
– Nourishing formulas will help compensate for the lack of natural lipids in the skin of the eyelids. Choose products with lipid-replenishing properties. For mature skin 30+, formulas with antioxidants, peptides, and vitamins are suitable.
– In the process of applying the care product, do a self-massage of the skin in the periorbital zone. Light patting movements of the pads of the ring fingers, “drive” the product into the skin from the outer corner of the eye to the inner one.
– Follow the regimen and lead a healthy lifestyle: get enough sleep, try to be less nervous, and spend more time outdoors (ventilate the room where you work more often), keep a drinking regimen.
– Protect the skin around your eyes from harmful UV rays every day by using sun protection products with SPF formulas approved by ophthalmologists.
How to Minimize Dark Circles with Cosmetic Treatments?
Consult a beautician to find a complex of aesthetic procedures suitable for your skin that are effective for correcting dark circles under the eyes. The most popular ways to get rid of bruises under the eyes in the cosmetologist's office are:
– Mesotherapy is an injection method of introducing a meso-cocktail based on hyaluronic acid and a complex of active ingredients (amino acids, vitamins, peptides, etc.) under the skin, aimed at intensive hydration, nutrition, and rejuvenation of the epidermis.
– Biorevitalization - using a special thin micro cannula needle, a preparation based on hyaluronic acid is injected under the skin, which maintains the water balance of cells and provides the skin of the eyelids with prolonged nourishment and density.
– Plasmolifting is an injection method for correcting skin imperfections in the periorbital area using a drug based on the patient's blood plasma. Increases the skin's ability to regenerate, and its immune properties, and corrects aesthetic imperfections: bruises, wrinkles, and swelling under the eyes.
– Lipofilling is a procedure that allows you to increase the density of the thin skin of the eyelids by introducing the patient's own fat cells under the skin.
– Microcurrent therapy is a hardware technique for correcting dark circles under the eyes. It helps to improve blood circulation, reduce puffiness, even out the tone and relief of the skin, and improve its tone and elasticity.
Vivid Eyes For Dark Circles
A clinically proven combination of ingredients reduces the appearance of dark circles, puffiness, and wrinkles around the eye area. Powerful peptides, a breakthrough Retinoid, and vitamins promote collagen growth, strengthen capillaries and stimulate circulation, resulting in a brighter, rejuvenated, and refreshed look.
Reduces dark circles, puffiness, and inflammation
Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improving the overall tone and texture of the skin
Firms tighten and brighten aging skin
45% reduction in the formation of line lines and wrinkles around the eye area through stimulation of extracellular matrix molecules
Apply a small amount to the eye area, gently patting the skin with the ring finger. Can be used twice daily or as directed by a physician.
Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide- 7, Phytonadione (Vitamin K), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)
Drain, lift and hydrate the undereye area.
Alfalfa Seed Extract—stimulates natural drain and tone of the under-eye area.
Hydrolyzed Collagen— lift, firms, and brightens skin.
Retinol— Increases cell turnover and renewal.
Avocado, PCR Hemp Oil (CBD), and Jojoba oils (all rich in fatty acids)— moisturize the surrounding eye area to prevent the formation of deep grooves (AKA crow’s feet).
50mg Full Spectrum CBD per container
The product contains a total delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration that does not exceed 0.3% on a dry weight basis.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
How to effectively correct bruises under the eyes at home if they are hereditary?
Chronic dark circles under the eyes, caused by a genetic factor, cannot be completely corrected on their own. Such bruising may be due to sunken eyes, skin type characteristics, and its reaction to external or internal factors. However, following the recommendations of a cosmetologist and providing regular care for the skin of the eyelids, bruises under the eyes can be significantly minimized.
Why does the blue under the eyes disappear after a good sleep?
Good rest promotes sufficient oxygenation (oxygen enrichment) of tissues, helping cells to breathe and speeding up their metabolism. As a result of oxygen enrichment, dark blood brightens, capillaries become less visible, and do not shine through the thin skin of the eyelids.
How to quickly lighten bruises at the bridge of the nose?
As an SOS way to reduce dark circles under the eyes, use patches for the lower eyelids, having previously cooled them in the refrigerator. Follow up with a moisturizer and lymphatic drainer, such as caffeine. In combination, this method will help to narrow the capillaries, refresh the skin and give the face a rested look.